Car accidents have taken a toll in America, leading to a human death after every 13 minutes somewhere in the country. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a car accident takes place every 10 seconds in the US, causing either permanent or temporary physical or mental disabilities. The number of car accident settlements filed daily is an eye opener for fast and furious drivers, accounting for an average settlement value ranging from $15,000-35,000.
Personal injuries resulting from car accidents can be deadly or minor. A personal injury that causes a person physical or mental harm, temporary, prolonged or permanent discomfort (disabling him to perform daily chores and carry on regular routine life prior to accident), calls for immediate medical attention and possibly even a court settlement.
What Constitutes a Valid Personal Injury Claim?
A valid personal injury claim is developed if the victim of the accident can prove that his injury was a direct result of the car accident under discussion and the car accident was not his fault.
The following injuries resulting from car accidents can lead to permanent or prolonged physical disability in a person and therefore, are a strong base for respective personal injury settlements.
Brain, the central nervous system, is the most vulnerable part of human body. A deadly side impact in car accident may lead to a traumatic brain injury through nerve damage or a skull fracture. CT scans and MRIs present a continuous medical expense for the injured, while any permanent damage can trigger a handsome car accident settlement in court of law in United States and many other countries.
From a whiplash to a disc injury, neck injuries caused by rear-end impact accident can be either small or traumatic for the injured party. Loss of wages or income due to a temporary or prolonged neck disability will be compensated by the other party to the injured.
Spinal injuries are
most common in car accidents, resulting from normal collision and friction. Like head and neck injuries, a back injury can take its due time to surface so a detailed medical inspection at the time of accident and afterwards is necessary. Similar medical compensation can be demanded under the court of law.
Along with external organs like hands and feet comes common internal organ malfunctions caused due to car accidents. Normal internal organ injuries include torn spleens, fractured ribs, and distorted liver and bowel injuries. Organ injury can lead to serious organ disability.
A serious and permanent personal injury leads to a permanent disability and wins a higher court settlement.
Typical Personal Injury Damages:
Apart from property damage, personal injury damages usually covered by your insurance company include:
- Ongoing medical expenses such as physical therapy sessions, doctor’s fee, emergency room expenses and so on. With the help on an expert legal advisory, you will be able to come up with a reasonable estimate on medical expenses made or to be made.
- Physical pain caused due to a car accident, is normally compensated by a close observation on its severity and duration. The decision rests with jury, where the injured/victim can best come up with physical evidence to support his case.
- A victim can demand full compensation for any mental discomfort experienced due to the car accident.
- Lost wages due to car accident and loss of earning capacity present a strong base to recover personal injury damages. The victim has to prove in court wages earned and money earned had the accident not impaired him in doing so.
- Loss of marital affection and companionship; where the jury determines value of loss by evaluating stability and individual life expectancy of the couple in question.