Pedestrian deaths while jaywalking is considered the most common traffic casualties among pedestrians in the country. Many pedestrians accidentally or unintentionally become quick victims of car or automobile on the road. Jaywalking has taken many lives. Pedestrians often die from the immediate impact of such a collision. If you are involved in an auto collision while jaywalking, make sure you are aware of the steps that should be followed:
Call the police immediately.
- If the pedestrian is hit while jaywalking, call the police as soon as possible.
- Wait for medical responders to arrive.
- Don’t move from the accident spot till the police arrive.
- Stay calm and collected.
- Answer the questions in the most respectful manner. Don’t hide anything. Reveal the complete scenario as to what occurred and when it happened.
- Don’t admit fault.
- Collect the police report of the incident.
Call your insurance provider.
- Get in touch with the insurance provider without fail.
- Take personal and contact details of the insurance representatives who arrive on the spot.
- Let them check the impact of the accident. Dent, broken glass and broken car help evaluate the details of claim.
- Divulge details about the accident- how, when and why it happened.
- Furnish the police report for supporting the claim.
- Provide the photographs and other documents required for filing the claim. Videos or images captured on mobile or camera could strengthen your case.
- If the pedestrian dies or suffers serious injuries, let the insurance provider work out the estimate so that it is acceptable to both parties.
- If it’s a case of contributory negligence where pedestrian risked crossing a road and got injured, the amount of claims can be distributed proportionately. If it is proved that negligence was caused intentionally by pedestrian, it is likely you have to pay a reduced amount towards claim.
Call your lawyer.
- If the insurance provider has forced you into final settlement, contact your attorney.
- If the other party has filed a case of accidental death, seek advice from your lawyer on how to win the suit.
- The lawyer might work out a negotiation between the two parties where both agree for an out of court settlement.
What can be done for pedestrian?
If a pedestrian is hit by your car while jaywalking, stop the car near the sidewalk and help the person you hit. If the individual has sustained minor injuries, make sure you utilize a first aid kit. If the individual is seriously injured, call the police and emergency officials as soon as possible. Don’t leave the scene of the accident under any circumstances.
You might not be at fault while pedestrian is hit, jaywalking. However, the law usually works in favor of pedestrians and drivers are often found at fault for the incident. At this point, legal counsel becomes essential to move out of what can be a serious and expensive situation. Since accidents could become a financial burden for you, it is essential to tread the path carefully. Make sure you retain assistance and advice from an attorney who is used to dealing with similar cases.